PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2006, 09:51
Perro Rojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

I'd like to rebutt rant your rant about not asking for too much power. I just recently got out of Iran where I was flying an A++ and it was definitely power challenged taking off from a rig in the Persian Gulf at 38C and no wind. We were down to five pax so that we could achieve OEI MCP stay up at 1000 ASL. More engine power (N1 and T5) would have been nice. Yes, the cruise fuel consumption would have been higher. Our rigs were only 100nm away so range wasn't our problem.

I'm flying a C+ in Thailand now and it seems that Sikorsky has finally put enough power in the 76. We can usually take off with 12 pax and a full load of fuel for a 130nm trip offshore and offshore it seems to be hard to get the machine heavy enough that you have to grunt to get it off the deck even with the OAT around 30C.

Note for CPT;

Nick is right. If you can make it on two engines you've got more than enough to make it OEI unless your trying to fly into a hurricane. Don't get your shorts in a knot about the exact numbers. Use the RFM numbers and include a blurb in your SOP about the OEI fuel flow beinging lower than the TEI fuel flow for the same speed/power combination.