PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Towcester, Northants Incident, Inquest report. Update.
Old 21st Jun 2006, 09:20
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is the oscillatory stall as described in the other thread, harder to recover from than a spin as mentioned in the AAIB report? I have certainly held a stall, in some gliders, balancing potential wing drop with rudder. Some types won't let it happen - the machine tries more and more extreme departures from level until this pilot could not react fast/accurately enough. Also, some types do the "nodding" pitch motion which I suspect is alternating full stall and partial recovery. With full flaps on some types the end result of both effects together is "interesting".

I suspect that the answer lies in what happens when a relatively benign "only just stalled" oscillatory stall flicks into a full spin with very rapid rotation, and very extreme attitude perhaps.

I think it would have been helpful if AAIB had explained what is to many of us an unknown expression. Lord only knows how they expected a lay coroner and jury to make any sense of it. Blinding with quasi-science is nearer the mark, IMHO.

I used to have a lot of respect for AAIB. I regret that I have over the years seen enough dubious analyses and conclusions leading me to think that they are less perfect that we are accustomed to crediting them with. [I grew up in aviation thinking they were the best in the world and virtually infallible. Just my naiveté, I suppose.]

Chris N.