PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The TNT B737 EMA/Birmingham incident thread
Old 20th Jun 2006, 14:49
The AvgasDinosaur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
Brings back memories of the DC-8 at Stansted that hit another aircraft back in 70`/80`s and diverted to Manchester with a large gash in the wing and part of the flaps missing ( from memory )
When you looked at the damage you wondered how it ever made it to Manchester
Can anyone remember this and fill in the gaps for me
G-I-B
Originally Posted by Curious Pax
This is going from memory, but my recollection of the DC8 incident is a Philipines registered DC8 doing a low go around at Stansted in early morning fog, clipping the tail of a Flying Tigers DC8, and diverting to Manchester. I think it was around 1982/3. A look round the net didn't find anything, but looking in the DC-8 database I found, I think that the offending aircraft was RP-C830 of Intercontinental. It was certainly a surprise to a young spotter who pedalled out one morning and saw it at Manchester - seems a lifetime ago when you just went on spec, and not because a message on the web had flagged something worth seeing!
Hope this helps the AAIB report on the acident to DC-8 srs 51 RP-C830 at Stansted on 5th September 1982 is Aircraft Accident Report 1/84 ISBN 0 11 550657 8. I assume still available from HMSO ( Or whatever they are called this week ! )
Does this near accident at EMA have a strong circumstancial link to the Air Algeria crash at Coventry some years ago?
http://aviation-safety.net/database/...1221-0&lang=en
Glad the crew walked away safe and well, from two in one day .
Be lucky
David

Last edited by The AvgasDinosaur; 20th Jun 2006 at 15:30.