PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview stuff
Thread: Interview stuff
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2006, 10:41
Sky Wave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people recommend "handling the big jets" by Davies, however I found it a bit hard work. It is fairly dated and things were explained differently than I learnt at ground school. I found the best way was to go back to answering ATPL questions and seeing what you get wrong. If you get the answers correct it confirms that you still remember it, and it logs it back into your memory. If you get them wrong you can go back to your ground school notes and look up that particular area. Bristol's JALS is one possible option for this.

Secondly you could also buy the book "preparing for Your Cathay Pacific Interview" by Capt X Y Z. Although this book is written with regard to Cathay, there is a lot of generic information within and a lot of sample technical questions.

One final pointer would be to go and visit someone like Penny Austin for interview coaching. My understanding is that the technical questions do not carry as much weight as the HR questions and the way that you come across to the interviewers. If you've forgotten some of your ATPL stuff, they think, "he/she knew it once because they got xx% in their ATPL's and we can teach them what they need to know", if you come across badly on a personal level they will think "I don't want to share a cockpit with this person", or “look at that body language, they're not captain material, Next candidate please".

If you name the airline that you are preparing for it's possible that someone can give you more details on the technical questions asked in the interview.

Hope this helps

SW