PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can perform open heart surgery, not allowed to apply bandaid!
Old 20th Jun 2006, 09:22
Mark M'Words

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can perform open heart surgery, not allowed to apply bandaid!

I've been flying for more than.....well put it this way when I started sex was safe and flying was fun! Now I've three kids and eldest daughter who knows daddy flies planes asked if I could take her flying in a little aeroplane, well the lump in my throat was probably visible but manfully I managed to hold in the tear.

I've 15000 hours, UK ATPL, US ATP, 757 Captain, so I thought a quick phone call to the friendly people at the CAA would help. Now I know I've not flown a single piston for a while now but the requirements to revalidate ones PPL privilages are nothing short of amazing, that allied to the cost of private flying in the UK means flight simulation on the computer will have to do for now.

I fully understand that flying commercially with the autopilot in is totally different to flying around the west coast of Scotland on a nice day, but the controls still work in the same sense don't they. I naiively thought a couple of hours or so with an instructor, quick check and of you go, but it's not to be. Is anyone else out there equally bemused?