PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GF does it again... DECs!!!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2006, 07:53
LDG NO BLUE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10-12 years to command....

Morning gents,

As for guys spending 10-12 years waiting for command, my answer is:
- so what?
It is a completely different market situation and for those who have been using this as a valid argument, I'll explain the facts to support my conclusion:

10-12 years ago is 1996-1994.
Aviation was still booming at the mid 90's, huge orders, the world economy was doing well. There was an exaggeration and companies expanded more they really needed, or to meet the real demand.

So, look what happened to the world, as these guys careers were progressing:

1994-1998
Start as S/O, after 2 years promoted to F/O. Total experience 2500-3000 hours. Aviation booming is on its last years.

Gulf Air 072 A320 struck water in the arabian Gulf, 3NM short of Rwy 12.
Stops everything at GF. No promotions, no salary increases, no transfers.

2000-2003
September 11, SARS, low cost airlines. Fuel prices. Gulf War II.
GF suffers a lot, as everybody else in the world.

And our pilot in question is still flying RHS, because there is no movement. There is no NEED for movement, company is streamlining efficiency, cutting costs, reducing routes. Creation of GT to hit the Sub-continent market. Guys hitting 7-8 thousand hours TT.

2004-2006
Aviation worldwide starts to recover. Airlines ordering planes with AB and Boeing. The market starts to dry up, major airlines calling back their pilots (US, Air Canada), BA recruiting 300 for the coming years, Netjets expanding fleet, Asian markets booming, Middle East companies with never before seen expansion plans.

So, think twice next time that you come up with the phrase:
"Oh the actual upgrades had to wait 10-12 years for their command and you think that after 5-6 years, GF owes you LHS."

My answer is: today's market is completely different from 5 or 10 years ago. The 30 upgrades/year are in the VPO own words: "the largest Command Upgrade program in Company's history".

GF does not owe me anything (apart from free accomodation which they don't fulfil their contractual obligations), but the aviation market is smiling at us now! Remember that and make the best use of it.

Sincerely,
LNB