PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airlines 777 narrowly escapes being shot down
Old 20th Jun 2006, 02:21
Xin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xin

Having worked for VN for several years now I would like to throw some light on the situation here.VN'S safety culture is improving all the time and the standard of young cadets coming out of the training scheme is as good as anywhere in the world.The management of the airline were shocked at these two incidents and have taken action to rectify future problems.
The crew that were on the Hanoi Frankfurt flight have been stood down as the matter is being thoroughly investigated by both the airline and the CAAV.
Certainly crew rostering is a problem here with the local crew working around 50% more than foreign crews.This is because of the current pay system rewards them for working every day.It is not unusual to see a roster with no days off in the home port.I am sure there is a burn out factor with some of these crews at the moment.
The smuggling F/O has severly embaressed everyone and will have to deal with Australian authorities before he will be dealt with back in Vietnam,I believe he may be in custody for quite some time. But do not think that management have shrugged their shoulders and wait for it to go away,they are being very pro active.
As far as corruption goes its the way things get done here,once again things are changing but a lot more time is needed to get rid of this deeply ingrained practise.
Xin