PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buried treasure at Kenley Airfield?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 21:28
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
kenley dump

thanks for that mk22.
of course what i would realy like to know is what happened to the portuguese hurricanes that came over for the earlier (angels one five) film.
they are recorded as entering the uk via tangmere,and all returned.
i think pz865,and Lf363 joined them,but certainly they all dispersed back to thier various homes.
i have never seen much in the way of info as to thier fate,so were they all scrapped after service.this of course was well before the warbird scene got under way,and i can find no reference to them as being under consideration for the much later BOB film(although 865,and 363)were of course back in action.
in the sixties we had a seafire at kenley for a while as part of the RAF display for one of the royal tournanments.i think this was a griffon model,and was used in a BOB tribute it being able to be rolled into the arena (wings folded through the doors) (lights off) (prop turning) (electric),and towed across the arena (wings down) by a hidden cable,with suitable engine sound effects.
i saw them practice this for weeks near our ATC hq,and then saw the actual event at earls court.
i would like to think that there are some artifacts still lying under the old dump,but its getting past all the old cars that will be a problem!!
will post my finding tom gleaves hurricane (1964) if interested.