PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 19:20
1d2d3d4d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

Did my QXC on Sunday not sure wether to post here or Bens. Thought I would post it here as it is towards the end of my PPL.

The route was to be Wellesbourne to Cambridge via Sywell. Cambridge to Leicester. Leicester to Wellesbourne via Rugby to avoid the ILS approach at Coventry.

Did the first leg, Wellesbourne, Sywell, no answer from Bourn, found Cambridge, all went well one of my best landings and got signed off with good for RT and landing. Then on to Leicester, as soon as I got on track I realised that the vis on this leg was not so good, though the flight went well untill I got to Corby, flew over Rockingham raceway searching for an airfield and then it appeared, on time and slightly right of track. Called field in sight descended to 2000ft QFE, only it wasn't Leicester. I am now orbiting a disused field, call Leicester, they tell me to call East Mids App. The very nice man there tells me I am orbiting Melton Mowbray disused airfield and gives me a heading for Leicester.

When I get to Leicester I am told the runway is 22. Now I am used to the best part of 1000 metres of runway, to me on the approach calling finals runway 22 looked like the deck of an aircraft carrier. Touched down on the numbers and didn't need half of the runway. Got a good for RT and landing here as well.

On the flight back to Wellesbourne passed a light aircraft, he was below and in front crossing my path left to right. Immediately after he passed Coventry asked me to orbit my present position, and whilst I was doing so told me to continue my original course as the target they were trying to contact was crossing the approach to their runway 23 with a 737 coming into land!

Arrival at Wellesbourne was some what embarrassing I got the frequency wrong on the plog, in fact on 2 plogs and Coventry did not correct me when I read it out so I ended up joining and landing with no radio, and got my wrist slapped for incorrect circuit procedure. I got backwith out bending anything, especially me and with my QXC signed off great.

Regards Chris