PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol - Any questions, please ask!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 11:55
bmontalto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great help

Hi STBATCO,

I've only recently been given the link to this thread and it seems to be a rather helpful insight as to what is tested. I have successfully completed my morning tests and moved to the pleasant afternoon test where we got to play a small part of the 'role' of an ATC. I thoroughly enjoyed that test and wished it were longer! I had identified about 3 opposing conflicts, a number of local conflicts and at the same time arranged the aircraft in chronological order while listening out for the announcements. The removal of obsolete aircraft was an easy operation too.

I must say that the testing was somewhat intense and I found myself sweating profusely all the time, but it was more of an anxiety issue that I assume we all get during testing and examination periods. I went unprepared and with barely 4hours of sleep that night as I was stranded at the train station the night of my arrival (clear thinking got me to the hotel, else I'd have spent the night sleeping on a bench and missing the tests completely)! As you said only 5 make it through from 12 to the afternoon period. I guess most fail the morning session due to English standards. It is rather obvious that each and every ATC is required to have complete control over the English language and must proficient in its use.

STBATCO, I have the following questions if you could be so kind to answer:
  • How long is it till you receive the (e)mail from EUROCONTROL notifying your success/failure to move on to phase 2 testing?
  • What exactly goes on in the Phase 2 testing? You mentioned a teamwork test in the morning I believe, followed by an interview. Could you explain the morning tests a bit more please?
  • Regarding the interview, if I understood you correctly you said that you know your assigned time within the same day upon successfully passing the morning tests. Is that so?
  • What in general is asked during the interview? Could you expand a bit more on the mathematical questions please?
I must say that I am very motivated to become an ATC. Aviation is my life, it flows through my blood. I live and breathe the air I'd like to fly in! Had I more money I'd have become an airline pilot, but as life would have it, I'm not the richest person around and cannot afford to pay the thousands of Euros necessary for lessons and flight hours in order to achieve the ATPL. I'm not put off at the thought of the 'hard' course after the testing as I'd be studying topics that would highly interest me. I regard the careers in aviation as a hobby rather than a job and thus I couldn't really care less about the salary - but this doesn't mean that I don't need one My only hope is that I will be successful. I am determined, now more than ever, to be so.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Regards and best of luck to all of you