PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heat in the Sandpit
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 07:02
Desert Diner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- I can still feel my toes.
- I don't have to spend 100's of kapufniks buying clothing that I will only use certain times of the year.
- The heat doesn't necesitate a visit (and possible revisit) to the deicing bay.
- Don't have "morning sickness" problems with the airplanes (or the car).
- Don't need two sets of tires for the car.
- Nothing to shovel every morning before going to work.
- Never came home to find the heating conked out and the water pipes frozen.
The alternative version:
- You can also feel the blisters (and 2nd degree burns) on your hands from touching anything metalic that has been in the sun for a while. Worse, I have personally gotten blisters from touching my plastic wraped steering wheel after the car has been out in the sun for a few hours.
- Still have to buy clothes for the heat. And unfortunately you can't wear shorts and a t shirt going into the suq.
- The car still suffers with a version of "morning sickness" from the heat and sand. Tyres bursting due to heat, batteries dying, windscreen wipers, etc.
- Also most heavies can only fly out at night during the "cool" period
- You just tend to buy more of the one set of tyre you use due to heat degradation of the rubber. Did I mention tyres bursting due to heat?
- Still have the pleasure of sweeping/shoveling the fine sand and grit after a shamal.
- Comming home to find out the electricity is out, or worse, the AC is broken. There is nothing like sleeping inside a house where the temperture is 45C.
I've also worked in Canada before and can appreciate both extremes, but I have yet conclude which one is worse: -40C or +40C (more like +45C)