PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend
Thread: Southend
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 23:37
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FenFlyer
So I'm guessing it's normal to contact Southend Apps about when I'm close to one of the Northern VRPs (Maldon, Chelmsford) and expect to join at circuit height.

Is there a nice pilots club cafe/bar/restuarant there, or is it a case of joining the passengers in the terminal?

Also, if there a quick bus to the seafront so that I can enjoy fish and chips with the seagulls?
I call Southend Approach about ten miles out and around 1500 to 2000 feet. Joins are usually whichever bit of the circuit I'm pointed at - baseleg, downwind, or even straight in. They'll tell you when to descend to circuit height, unless it's obvious from the clearance.

There are flying clubs along the perimeter track, but to be honest I'd go into the terminal - the caff there does some pretty good sarnies and the like. You could walk out of the door, turn left, and go the 200 yards to McDonalds, if that's your thing.

You won't find many pax in the terminal: just the odd few spotters, and some locals who go there for the food and the experience.

No, there's no bus service but there are usually taxis waiting outside the terminal.