PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Baggage Allowance Cuts
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 21:21
Haven't a clue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused pax

I am trying to understand how these new baggage rules apply to the whole BA empire. Most of my sectors start with what is now BA Connect from the Isle of Man. Now as they are not BA Mainline I guess there's a bit missing at the moment from the policy to warn those pax flying subsidiaries that the new policy does not apply to them.....?
So I anticipate those wonderful people who crew G-MABR (the BAe146-100 which unfortunately replaced the much missed and possibly sold in error 146-200 G-MIMA on the IOM-LGW route) to be confronted with over burdened pax fighting for a slice of the totally inadequate locker space on this aircraft in the mistaken belief that their BA ticket entitles them to carry their two huge bags on board. Of course I will be arguing equally strongly since I am connecting with another BA service which offers to carry my overweight carry-ons, provided I can lift one of them into the locker (which of course I can, 'cos I've been training for this moment..!)
Perhaps the bigger driver for this new policy is the realisation by BA management that allowing the customer to print out his own boarding pass permits him/her to bypass all the human checks including an assessment of carry-on baggage until he/she is almost on board the aircraft, so what the hell - if he/she can carry it, let it on board.
Oh and I'll have to pack some scales to check the weight of my checked luggage on its return journey to ensure I don't exceed the new maxima (which incidently we did on our return from our family holiday last month).
As a Gold card holder and a BA shareholder I have to wonder what is really going on here.