PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buried treasure at Kenley Airfield?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 21:20
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
kenley dump

the kenley dump was well outside the perimiter track,and right alongside the fence that marked the start of kenley common.
i suspect that this area is now part of the common,and is certainly well outside the operational (mainly weekends) part of the old airfield.whilst i would not condone indiscriminate digging, making a detector survey would certainly get the headphones ringing,but remember flattened car roofs would be a big target,so you had better be able to discriminate between steel, and alluminium.
kenley only had a very small fire section, so there was no big requirement for a training area after the fifties.the spits were a legacy from (reach for the sky),and one ended up on a plinth near the small naaffi shop.it was a mk9 with packard merlin,and was is good condition,with engine covered in a storage wax compound.it was given a general clean up and repaint in the mt section during my time,and looked the part.this was in the hangar that survived the aug 18th raid.i remember going in there one sunday to get the mt out and it was sitting on its u/c looking a gem.(was eventually presented to the french a/f and went to tours) (i think)
i can assure you that nothing of reasonable interest would have escaped our attentions,and therefore the 1930's level would be many feet under the surface.
on one early sat morn vist the whole area was covered in thousands of 303 links,i had some belted up with our used cases from the range.a detector visit to the site of the aircraft butts (near golf lane) would no doubt give up some 303,and 20mm cases!!
good pinging.