PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard drive 'missing.'
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 18:42
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Two_dogs
I seem to remember that having a HDD and a CD on the same controller can be problematic, even with a correct set up with the HDD as master and the CD Drive as slave.Two Dogs
I think this is what you mean Two Dogs - it was a consideration at one time, but all modern boards support independent timing

"Independent Master/Slave Device Timing: Hard disk controllers on modern systems support running the master and slave device at different speeds, if one supports faster transfer modes than the other. Some systems, however, especially older ones, do not. If you are using two devices with radically different maximum transfer rates, and the chipset doesn't support independent timing, you will slow down the faster device to the speed of the slower one.

# Hard Disk and ATAPI Device Channel Sharing: There are several reasons why optical drives (or other ATAPI devices) should not be shared on the same channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows the use of the same physical channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same protocol; ATAPI uses a much more complicated command structure. Opticals are also generally much slower devices than hard disks, so they can slow a hard disk down when sharing a channel. Finally, some ATAPI devices cannot deal with DMA bus mastering drivers, and will cause a problem if you try to enable bus mastering for a hard disk on a channel they are using."

But this has nothing to do with his problem.

I suspect, with Saab, that Windows is seeing this as a dynamic disk when it isn't - I shall research this further.