PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Critical engine
Thread: Critical engine
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 17:01
Gary Lager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whilst the pilots are making their mind up, there may be drama going on already at the rear they don't know about.
Hopefully the drama unfolding in the rear will contribute to the making up of the pilots' collective mind.

I have RTO'd from 110kts in a heavy (87T) A321 as an FO - the autobrake did not allow any time for the 'briefed' call to ATC, let alone any steering input from the Captain at low enough speeds to avoid leaving the concrete.

The MAN accident was exacerbated by the pilots failing to consider wind direction after they had taxyed off the active, not during the RTO itself.

Mental capacity is a whole other consideration - I would go so far as to suggest that if you have time to remember to turn the burning engine out of the wind, remember which way the wind was coming from and then actually work out which way to turn the aircraft, especially considering that no concrete identification of the engine concerned ought have been completed yet, then the control of the aircraft/monitoring of the PF is not been attended to with adequate vigilance. Unless you're a test pilot and do RTOs every day, instead of every six months in the sim when an RTO is not unexpected.

Sorry for thread creep, but I firmly believe on my recent types (B737, A320/321) this 'burning engine downwind' stuff is ared herring.