PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY to cancel TRSS in the future?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 12:40
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people have become completely taken in by 'the way it is' in aviation. It has only been like this since the lo-cos came along and has only spread in the last 5 years or so. I can't speak for Virgin, but suspect they DO pay and provide pension from Day 1. They certainly do in my airline, Thomsonfly, unless you join through CTC on their 'scheme'. It is not that strange a concept, most industries provide all the benefits from day one of employment. We are not talking joining and then getting the qualifications like an apprenticeship, you already have the qualifications, all you are doing is the 'on the job bit' required to operate for the particular employer. It is not that far fetched to expect full benefits from day one. Unfortunately the industry has moved away from this and is passing on costs to its employees because of supply and demand and may I be so forward as to say 'uninformed' individuals like you Nick. As long as guys like you keep lining up and paying, the companies will keep the schemes in place like TRSS. Once market forces dictate (if they ever do) that demand outstrips supply, then one employer will be first to drop the 'pay for this, that and the other' and perhaps only have you paying for 'this and that' in an attempt to attract staff. When it really swings, then they will go back to bonding (probably by way of a loan that they pay back whilst you remain employed, but in your name) so that if you leave you take the problem of repayment with you.

PP