PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your view on VHHH tower ATC service
Old 17th Jun 2006, 09:26
Mr. Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never judge a controller until you walked a mile in their shoes, or something of the like. Overall good job.

On the other hand, what about the pilots? When asked to slow to 210 from 250 due to traffic 5.5 miles and they take their time, which requires a vector to give spacing. When you are that close, ATC want the speed now, so throw out the anchor.

It can go both ways. Pilots must anticipate the ATC needs and the ATC must consider the capabilities of each aircraft. Also every company has different SOP’s.

It’s all about communication. Ask the pilots to slow down early so they can reconfigure the computers and the pilots can state the missed approach off 25R will be straight ahead (due to thunderstorms) earlier, and not surprising the controllers when the TOGA (Take-Off/Go-Around) buttons are pressed.

Example: Take off 25L heading eastbound (i.e. TPE, JPN). ATC need altitude not forward speed (FL 140 or above at “Trout”), so after leaving “Prawn” at 230 kts, keep the speed at 250kts and climb faster. When you gain enough altitude you will be cleared more direct, then go fast. Then again I may be wrong.

It would be nice to know if we knew everybody’s intentions, but this is not the case.

I remember having controllers in the cockpit for FAM flights, but how many pilots took up the controllers on their invite to sit in the Approach, Director, ATC seat?

When the wx is not suitable, take more fuel to hold and take the pressure off everybody.

Work together and help each other, sorry I forgot, we are Cathay pilots, every man of himself.

Ask the controllers how busy they are at 3-4 AM? Air traffic stops for no one. At that time I am keeping an eye on the circuit breaker panel, but don't tell anyone.