PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landing control error???
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 21:15
skywerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Champion:
I assume you are speaking of a PA-28, or something that also has nosegear steering that is directly connected to the rudder. I have seen this happen many times, but must reiterate the advice given by others, in that you must fly the airplane all the way to the tiedown.
One thing I might add, however, is the role of ailerons in a crosswind landing. Make sure you keep that aileron pressure in throughout the landing. As a matter of fact, as the speed slows and control effectiveness decreases, aileron deflection should increase.
The aileron pressure might help your problem just a bit, as it keeps firm pressure on the upwind landing gear and also adds a bit of adverse yaw that keeps you from having to use so much rudder.
I think someone else already said it, but some tailwheel time can work miracles for those of us who fly "flying milkstools" predominantly. Tailwheel aircraft tend to make our problems appear miniscule.
And FYI, the swept wing jet I fly is quite the handful in a crosswind landing. Use of controls on crosswind landing is just as critical as it ever was in a light aircraft, except that the ailerons require a lot more exertion on the part of the pilots.
Hope this helps you,
Skywerd