PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Pay for your PPL
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 16:56
norihaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 year olds can get a 6,000 pound loan? Things have changed since the last time I lived in Britain.

Maybe I am being dim, but if you're 15 and presumably staying on in school for a bit, how about the air cadets?

http://www.aircadets.org/

It's something to do in your spare time, other than hard drugs, orgies and violence, or whatever it is the yoof are into these days. Of course I have no idea how much seat time you actually get with them. Their website does claim the following:

"There are also exciting opportunities for cadets to learn how to fly, with scholarships for both powered flight and gliding. In general, every cadet will be given opportunities to fly during their time as an active member of an ATC or CCF squadron."

Just make sure you don't sign the wrong bit of paper and end up shoveling s*** and unexploded ordinance in Basra.

Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat
It's still the wrong question (assuming that you don't want to get a PPL just for box ticking and never fly again).

The right question is: how will you pay to keep flying afterwards?

Getting the PPL itself is a one-off capital cost. You just borrow the money. Many people simply wouldn't notice the extra interest from adding £6k or whatever to the mortgage, given today's house prices. Even if your only route to getting your hands on £6k is a personal loan at 20% that's still only around £23 per week interest, and you can get that doing a paper round these days.

So the interest on the capital you borrowed to do the PPL is lots less than you're going to be spending to keep flying.