PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many interviews have you attended?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 14:21
Alex-AAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep trying....

Hi Guys, I don’t post often but I really hope that this will show you that determination really will pay off for you if this is really the career that you want to follow.
I started seeking employment as crew from the age of 18. I applied to Ryan Air and I was rejected. I was young, over eager and not your stereotypical applicant. (Not that there is one) I didn’t have GCSE’s but held NVQ’s instead; I don’t speak a foreign language and I am unable to squeeze my foot never mind my a*rse in to a pair of 32” trousers. On the plus side I had known that this was what I wanted to do from a young age and I built up a good track record of employment in Travel Agencies and took my NVQ in travel and tourism, gaining me priceless experience of dealing with the general public.

Below is a list of the 21 interviews I have had with 19 different airlines over 4 years. (Maybe more as this is from memory)

Air Atlanta – Applied once, Interviewed once, Accepted
Astraeus – Applied Once, Interviewed once, Accepted
Britannia – Applied once, Never interviewed.
British Airways – Applied 4 times, Interviewed 4 times, Rejected 3
British Midlands – Applied 3 times, Interviewed 3 times, Rejected 3
BMED – Applied 3 times, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Etihad – Applied once, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Easy Jet – Applied once, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Excel Airways – Applied twice, Never interviewed
European Air Charter – Applied twice, Never interviewed.
First Choice – Applied twice, Interviewed once, Accepted
GB Airways – Applied 3 times, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Monarch – Applied twice, Interviewed once, Rejected once
MAX Jet – Applied once, Interviewed once, Rejected once
My Travel – Applied once, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Titan Airways – Applied twice, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Ryan Air – Applied twice, Interviewed once, Accepted
Thomas Cook – Applied once, Never interviewed
Qantas – Applied once, Interviewed once, Rejected once
Virgin – Applied 4 times, Interviewed once, Rejected once

The point I want to make is that if you really want it you will get it, I have been knocked back what many will class as a ludicrous amount of times, but I kept going and now I work for the company I wanted to work for from the start (although they rejected me 3 times before). I know it’s hard but in the long run you will appreciate your job more than the person who “got directly in” and the people I have flown with over the years who have tried and tried again to follow the career they wanted hold a greater value of their position in my opinion.
I really wish all you guy’s the best of luck when applying and I hope to fly / work with you guys one day in the future.
Alex