PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLYPAST (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 12:00
GeeRam

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Widger
Gee Ram,Thanks for that photo. As a child I lived about 3 miles finals to Northolt and I vividly remember one such flypast in the 70s, with a group of about 6 -8 delta wing aircraft in formation to the south. I could swear Concorde was amongst them as well.
Snap.......
Now, it's interesting you say this, as you are the first person outside myself, my Mum and my parents old next door neighbours that have mentioned the Concorde in a Trooping Flypast.
I saw it, the formation flew right over our house, Concorde prototype surrounded by a hoard of shiney Lightnings .........but I have not as yet ever been able to confirm it happened.
Even Ed Durham of the Lightning pilots association has drawn a blank so far.
I reckon it was either 1970 or 1971 when it happened, as the next door neighbour (and ex-WW2 Spitfire pilot) moved away in early 1972, and it's very unlikely to have been 1969 as it was too soon after the first flight of Concorde. I'd favour 1970 as this would tie in with the published photographs of 16 Lightnings taking off from Watty for the Trooping Flypast.
Still can't believe there are no photos or any Watty ex-Lightning pilots from 1970-71 around to confirm it or say I (we) imagined it all..............