PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates
Thread: Emirates
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 10:13
Lucifer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I recall the facts, British Ports have recently been, or about to be taken over by a Dubai based company. All well and good, but included in British Port’s portfolio is New York. Something which the Americans had something to say about. I don’t know what the outcome is, but I know the Americans were none too happy.
You mean P&O - congress realised what a disasterous mistake they made, and are backpedalling so fast it is unbelievable. Don't expect to see any more xenophobic noises from Washington lawmakers for a while - they can clearly see Arab oil money flows to London over and above New York now, and are trying to do a lot to redress that balance.

I could be mistaken here but I believe BA would have to remain more than 50% British to be classes as a UK carrier and retain it's rights to LHR slots. Note the way Virgin is only 49% owned by Singapore Airlines.
You are totally mistaken. Company ownership rules are governed by the UK/Dubai bilateral (or EU if relevant) treaty. Slot ownership is entirely divorced from this - BA could sell the lot to whomever they wanted to - if the buyer used them.

I would love to see a private equity firm do this in conjunction with Emirates - so many processes to put right, and so many more efficient ways to make money (after firing terrible management), that it would be a cash cow if one knew what they were doing.