PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First CLASS MEDICAL QUSTIONS
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 00:33
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those after class 1 info :-

I had my class one the day before the flyer show so I am pretty well placed to tell you what they do.

It's pretty straight forward and not much to worry about.

You arrive at the CAA building and get issued with ID pass then report to Medical Section just inside the main entrance.

They then direct you into a cubical and you strip off above waist level and put on a white dressing gown then sit and wait in the waiting area.

You then get called and get your height and weight checked and they put a little cup through a hole in a wall into the toilets. You then enter the toliet and produce your urine sample and place it back in the hole in the wall - I went first so there was no other urine cups there, but all the guys who went after said that the part filled cups were still in the wall even when the last chap went in (6 of us). One guy mentioned to them that this wasn't a very secure way of doing it as the samples could be tampered with, but they said they are only checking for sugar levels and glucose and not for drugs so it wasn't a major concern to them.

You then return to the waiting area. They then begin calling out names, and each person goes off to have a different part of the remaining tests done so they can get you all done quickly, and you rotate around between each test.

I had my eyesight test first. It was only slightly different from a standard opticians eye test. They have you reading lines from a chart with each eye then both eyes, looking at a red line and telling them where the other red line crosses it (which I couldn't grasp at first as I was looking at the wrong lines oops!!!). You then look at the books for colour blindness, then he checks the back of your eyes. You then sit at a machine that blows a puff of air into your eye - this is quite strange as you reaction is to pull back but you have to try not to - this is the worst test they do.

After the eye test is over it's back to the waiting area.

Next I was called to do the hearing test. You sit in a sound proofed booth and they play different frequencies into the headphones and you indicate that you can hear them.

After this was a blood test. They prick your finger and take a couple of drops of blood and test them for cholesterol etc. (My cholesterol had been at 6+ 2 weeks before but I had been drinking those Flora pro-active things and drastically reduced my saturated fat intake during those 2 weeks and I was suprised to see it was down to 4 which is a normal level).

I then went to another room where they hook you upto a machine that checks your heart rate at rest, and then you do a lung capacity test which you get a couple of chances at. Basically fill your lungs up with as much air as you possibly can then blow it all out at a constant rate for as long as you possibly can. Then you repeat the test but this time you have to blow out as much air as possible as fast as possible. There is a bit of a knack to this that's why you get a couple of attempts.

Was then back to the waiting area.

The other guys had chest x-rays but I didn't require this as I already had one from my Class 2 in South Africa back in March so I got the cost of that and the attached report refunded. They are just checking though that all your internal organs are the right size and you have the right number of each and they are in the right places.

I was the last to go see the Doctor - the other guys had been discussing what SHE did to them, and when I was called I walked off giggling like a school kid, whilst the others were winking and laughing.

You go into a room and strip off to your underwear and lie on a bed. She takes your blood pressure and checks your breathing with a stethascope, then prods around at your abdomen. Then she poilitely asks you to pull down your underwear whilst she puts on a rubber glove. She then gives your nuts a quick feel, then you pull your underwear back up and stand up. She then checks your range of movement of your back, neck and arms. You then have a general chat about your medical history etc. then sign the forms they sent you.

If you take medication, take it with you so they can see check out whether it would be a problem, as most people don't tend to take it and have to get it checked out later via the CAA website.

One guy turned up in a full suit and shirt and tie. This is not necessary - it's not an interview after all and YOU are paying THEM. I just wore my jeans and a pair of trainers, and a sweatshirt - basically smart casual.

I would suggest wearing shoes that you can run in as the guy in the suit had to run around the car park for 10 minutes as he had trouble with the lung test, and you might also have to run for the heart rate test too.

They will tell you whether you have passed or not on the day, so no need to sit around at home worrying. the certificate should take 7-10 days to come through.

This link explaines what they are looking for generally :-
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med...ass1_Medex.pdf

This link is for the visual requirements :-
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED...isual_Stds.pdf

They are a very nice bunch of people and really make you feel at ease. It really is nothing to worry about."
Here is the said report.