PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your view on VHHH tower ATC service
Old 15th Jun 2006, 16:37
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you are involved with HKATCC. If so here goes.

I have yet to work out when the Ground North and Ground South are bandboxed and combined. When landing on, say 07L and going to the November stands I assume that 121.6 will be required so I pre-load it on finals. After landing tower gives me 122.55. It's a small thing but looking down to change a frequency on a fast turnoff is a bit of a risk.

Do you combine them at a set time, or is it purely on workload?

Another point on descent speeds. Phil has done a great job explaining this in his articles in the various company magazines, but there is still a place for refinement. If you can tell the pilot of a reduced descent speed at least 20 miles before his normal top of descent point, then he can re-program the Vertical Navigation and make the descent earlier. If we get the speed constraint as a reply to our "request descent" call, then its out with the speed brakes and there goes fuel and passenger comfort.

In the big wide world these are small points. I think you are doing a great job, and on a day of thunderstorms in a trough line combined with a red lightning warning, multicultural accents and MCM, SZX and ZUH all snapping at your tail, they don't pay you nearly enough.