PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I still can't believe I was that stupid...
Old 15th Jun 2006, 12:00
justinmg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Confabulous
After a minute or so of scrabbling around my instructor spoke up. 'Have you forgotten something?' 'No', I replied frantically, 'I'm sure I'll find it somewhere!' 'No, no', he insisted, 'You have forgotten something, something important.' I stopped searching and looked around, but couldn't spot anything amiss. What was the damn problem?
I looked again.
No-one was flying the aircraft! I'd forgotten to utter the magic words, 'You have control'
Calling someone a tit is typical for these parts.
Unfortunatley the lessons learned are not noticed by people who read 2nd hand reports. People who can only appreciate teaching methods from a single approach make poor teachers. Students and teachers vary.
Getting someone to solve their own problem and critically appraise a situation is often much better than just dolling out directions. We need to teach students to be able to develop independance, and spoonfeeding can lead to dependance on the teacher.
Feeling shame for making a basic error is completely natural, and learning can not occur without it. Unless repeatedly negative, it is usually a powerful learning stimulus.

Sounds to me like, teacher taught, student learned. End of.

Others may like to overlay their own methods and egos onto the situation.