PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Baggage Allowance Cuts
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2006, 11:08
FloridaCandle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with a previous comment, this is a bloody disgrace, but especially to Club and First passengers who pay so much more. I've a keen interest as I'm flying out to the States on the day policy comes into effect. I've booked a ringside seat for the Passengers v Check In fight, likely to go over a hundred or more bouts!! I'm now trying to change my flight to avoid the riot.
I booked Club partly because of extra hand luggage allowance, checked luggage was never in question. In so doing paid £1,000 more than economy seat. Why did I bother? I can now travel with the same luggage as if I pay £400 on a sale fare (travel allowance is same whether F, C, WT+ or WT on US routes). Scandalous!
Despite paying more I'll still get clobbered by excess fees should I dare to bring the amount of luggage BA's contract says I can have. This is outrageous.
Cabin baggage is now unlimited in weight so I look forward to mini fridges, car engines, and other wonderful items on board - if they fit in the size of bag who cares how much it weighs. This will alleviate any savings BA hope to make on fuel, and could raise a safety issue if weight is not determined for items. I personally would be interested to see how BA react when a fridge falls out of an overhead and lands on a passenger!
BA say its down to health & safety but other baggage handlers at Heathrow are still able to manage to deal with 32kg limits. I am a 5'2" 51 year old lady and if I can manage to lift my bags, then I'm sure a strapping baggage handler can do the same. If not, perhaps they should be in a different role.
Or perhaps BA are trying to cut out the baggage handlers altogether??!!
Note VS still allow 3 pieces up to 32kg each. Despite my strong preference for BA, I will have no hesitation in changing my carrier next time round. I'd do it this year, but realistically would be "cutting off my nose to spite my face".