PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways v Swiss
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2006, 10:58
StarWinder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to add another important consideration, and that is the airline's flexibility in changes made to your itinerary.

Swiss is absolute cr@p in that respect. Even as a member of their Qualiflyer program, you were not shielded against their rigid and (I must assume) discriminatory rules.

Some two years ago I checked in for a BOM-ZRH flight and was told to pay an additional SFrs. 200 on the spot. When I queried this, I was told that having re-scheduled my flight by 2 days and with the ticket I was holding, this was a necessary upcharge. The re-booking of my flight had, in fact, been handled by my Swiss-based travel agent ten days earlier, and no mention of any penalty had been made.

With 100+ flights a year, this had never happened to me before on any other airline.

I subsequently asked to see the Swiss duty manager at Bombay. In response, an Indian lady (displaying no name badge and not introducing herself) who refused to speak either German, French or Italian insisted I pay the SFrs. 200 penalty, but also conceded I may pay Rs 7,200 instead (as this was in line with the official exchange rate, I to this day am unable to understand what this option was supposed to mean).

Finally, I offered her the choice of checking me in without the payment of SFrs. 200 and securing my future business with LX, or on insisting on this payment and losing my patronage for good.

She insisted on taking the money, and I have never flown with LX again since.

Whilst all of the above was taking place, the locals were happily being checked in with piles of luggage (clearly in excess of their 20 kg allowances) - probably also flying on cheap tickets not available to non-Indian nationals.

You will get far better flexibility with any airline based in ME.