PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another XP quirk
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2006, 10:43
Cornish Jack

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Again, thanks, Maxell and DBTL
Maxell. I noted that suggestion from your earlier reference and am a little confused as to the difference between using the RUN 'sysdm.cpl' route and the dialogue box you get from 'clicking' through the Control Panel options. The latter options are only useful if the problem program appears in Program Files. The Canon printer DOES NOT!! If, however, the 'RUN' version allows TOTAL disabling of this latest bit of MS 'helpfulness', I shall certainly use it. Can't do anything 'til tomorrow night as the relevant 'pooter' is some distance away.
DBTL - the printer is a Canon mono laser L120(?) or similar and recently purchased. Initial installation was totally straightforward and it printed TEST PAGE and other output with no problems. The installed drivers are XP specific from the installation CD. This interference by Windows has only occurred since the re-install following a System Restore to the Dell initial Setup condition.
It would appear that this 'protection' is only effective post SP2 but, since that is the original installation level, my mate is stuck with it.
My mental processes grind ever more slowly, but a sudden thought - the program which is noted in the pop-up box as initiating the stoppage is Windows Explorer. Should I be adding THAT to the DEP exclusion list, rather than the Canon printer???
Will try that and report.