PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Job Experience
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2006, 09:39
Wanderin_dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While i have a few more hours, around the 800 mark, i can second Iron Maiden's comments.
I sent out a whole bunch of resumes a couple of months ago, applied for a job i heard of on this very website and applied for a job in the AvTrader.
I got the job from the AvTrader, was called twice for the job i heard of on here after i had turned it down and just today received a call from the resumes i sent out. It's not a bad position to be in, i really like the job i'm in, but the call today was from a company with a good reputation and with the always appealing bigger and better aircraft.
Trust me i'm not that employable, jobs really are out there and come februaryish when people are hiring up north there will be even more. Just keep sending out the resumes and keep looking. Jobs tend to come up at pretty short notice and yep you do have to be lucky, but it seems people who are persistant, available and have the right attitude always seem to be a lot luckier. In the mean time get experience in a job you can take anywhere, turbine dreamer named a couple, my choice was fancy hotels, hospitality work is ALWAYS going in EVERY town.
It's not all doom and gloom in this industry. Yep the money is SH!T, though decent money can be made with a little bit more luck. And yep, you will have to leave friends and family behind, grow a very thick skin and all the rest that is constantly played out on these forums. BUT you will meet some great people, see some great places and do some seriously fun flying.
I thought i was getting a bit older and more jaded with this industry, but obviously i'm still be a newbie, i still enjoy it!