PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - nppl question
Thread: nppl question
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2006, 07:49
bar shaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whirlygig
The medical is simpler as it can be provided by your GP rather than full Class 2 medical from an AME.

I'm not sure of the differences in the training but post licence entitlements are not so many. I do not believe you would be able to use your licence abroad (since it is not a JAA but a national licence), you can't "upgrade" to subsequent licences or ratings or use it as the first step in the modular scheme for a commercial licence.

So, if you think you may want to do more with your licence, I would recommend a JAA PPL.

Cheers

Whirls

The use offshore will change soon. EASA is promoting an NPPL licence across the whole of Europe and an NPPL holder will be able to use the licence in all EU states. The microlight NPPL is already accepted by all main EU states, with the exception of Ireland that ask for a class II medical, in addition to the NPPL medical.

I know nothing of how the NPPL SEP compares to what the US are doing with SLA pilots, but there may be reciprocal agreements here too.

I was under the impression that almost all NPPL hours could be used towards a JAR, if you wanted to carry on learning.