PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL Distance Learning Ground School
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2006, 00:46
I'll Be Realistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HW,

be a little cautious. I think Littco may be a little off the mark with his statement of the time scale for the DL course. I understand that CAP 682 (the CAA publication on approvals) states that unless a student is exempt the training requirements, then there is a minimum time scale involved, that must equate to a 650 hr course. (approx 6 months for the entire course)

I haven't looked at 682 for some time, but to my knowledge, it's there, so you might want to consider that if you are looking for speed (which isn't everything btw). Ask Alex if in doubt. He will tell you.

Meaning no disrespect Littco, but how long have you been studying your first set of subjects? You mentioned that 5 months ago you had the same difficult choice to make, you now you have just finished the first round. Is that because you didn't start 5 months ago?

HW, my advice is to choose a course based on your self discipline. If you might get distracted by the TV / Pub / etc, take the residential. In the long run it will be quicker. Remember, if you fail 1 exam, you add 1-2 months to the overall time before completion, as you can never resit the next month even if the CAA accepted your application. If you failed it in May, why would you be ready for it in June? See what I'm saying?

Your choice, but I could never do DL. Aways admire those who can and do, though.

IBR