PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD-11 stab trim vs. TOCG position: Any references available?
Old 14th Jun 2006, 23:06
DAL2728

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD-11 stab trim vs. TOCG position: Any references available?

Hey all!

You've all been so helpful to me in the past when I've asked for information, so thanks in advance to all of you.

Is there any sort of printed references I could use a ROUGH estimate of the proper stabilizer trim settings for takeoff for CG positions? It's my understanding that anywhere between 18-32% of the MAC is the acceptable regime for safe takeoffs, so if there's any sort of printed chart or information someone could share with me so I can complete my MD-11 FDE for FS2004, that'd be great. I would REALLY appreciate any help! If I had an MD-11 FMS handy I'd use that but since I don't I have to rely on your expertise.

If there isn't any printed information available, could some of you MD-11 drivers give me some benchmarks perhaps? Say, typically, when your TO CG is 29%, what stab trim setting does your FMS give? If you could give me just a few benchmarks I can extrapolate for the rest. It doesn't have to be absolutely exact because it's more or less just a real fancy simulator game I'm working on, but I want to make this as realistic as I possibly can given I have limited access to MD-11s and I am not type rated on it.

What is the maximum stabilizer trim setting, positive and negative? I heard it was -4/16 ANU but I am unsure if this is correct. Does 1 ANU = 1.5° on the stabilizer?

And just another question, related. When I go do some plane spotting at Ontario airport in California I notice that landing MD-11s seem to have that stabilizer taking a real big bite out of the air. Does the MD-11 typically land with a lot of + ANU on the stab trim or I am not getting a very good view?

Thanks again guys!