PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomsonfly roster?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 20:11
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind is CARMEN. As has been alluded to, we are supposed to be CARMENISED from July. This should give you some control over choice of flying, but it is not guaranteed and you could well find yourself flying away from base as is the case now. That shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone non-UK resident as it doesn't matter where you are in the UK, as long as you know when you start and when you end for days off. Indeed, if you bid under Carmen for away from base flying, you could end up in hotels around the country, at the company's expense whilst getting duty pay 24hrs a day and not having to pay for any accommodation whilst in the UK! It would seem the ideal option and would allow pilots like myself to bid for more home base flying to spend more time at home with the wife and kids!

Personally speaking I would not go back to London to be based. You get the same pay, but everything costs so much more, especially accommodation. The traffic is horrendous and it it takes an age to get anywhere unless you travel in the middle of the night! I grew up there and spent 30 years in the outskirts of London, but purposefully chose Manchester for a better quality of life (and a nice big house for the price of an apartment! ) Obviously, other issues will affect your decision and I think the biggest one will be Carmen and flying away from base for the benefit that holds, together with flight availability to your home country.

All the best.

PP