PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Labarynthitis
Thread: Labarynthitis
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 17:43
Stop Stop Stop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this in May. The first symptom I had was a 'squelchy' ear which I thought was possibly water in my ear from the shower. No pain at all. I flew the day after (I am an airline pilot) and felt a little unwell on my third sector. I recovered during the turn around but on my last flight (back to my base) I experienced vertigo (spinning sensation) which made me sick. If I sat absolutely still, I was OK but when I moved my head the vertigo would start again.

Once I struggled home I was in bed for a few days...felt absolutely lousy. I saw my GP who basically signed me off and said to rest. After a further week, although all the vertigo had gone and I felt better in myself, my ear still felt 'squelchy' so I was sent to see a private ENT consultant. I was very concerned because I feared that I might have Menieres disease (which is 'bye bye' Class 1) but after a thorough examination of my ear, with pressure testing and a hearing test, I was passed as fit to fly. The squelchyness I was told would disappear over time and the diagnosis was Labarynthitis caused by a virus.

All in all, this was a worrying time and I am glad that the symptoms disappeared by themselves.

Labarynthitis is a disease that can take a long time to improve and in some cases never does.

I found a very useful website that may help sufferers.

http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/index.htm