PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airways fleet renewal schedule
Old 14th Jun 2006, 17:20
flare and touchdown!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well in regards to issues with complaining pax, South African Airways, only recently, decided that they had years ahead of them with the A346 and there was no point having it constantly with whaling passengers , so they are currently upgrading economy interiors extending legroom to 33" (from 31-32) and moving IFE boxes to ensure more space. It has made a big difference, as i have been on both squashed and newly more spacious A346. Not all the models have been changed in Economy yet, but the new ones come in since Jan 2006 have been fitted with the extra legroom, and SAA is sending, when they can, the remaing 4( i think 4) back to Toulouse to have the cabin changed directly at Airbus.

I know they are hoping this will solve the problems they've been having with their (charming!) passengers.

However, there have been problems landing the A346 into Jo'burg on a few occasions, it seems the type may not be suited for the altitude. See video, of the similar problems virgin have experienced coming into Jo'burg with their own A346 - i have been on an SAA A346 into Jo'burg - it's not fun!

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-5961.html