PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speeding ticket
Thread: Speeding ticket
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 17:08
belgiandriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello from Belgium,

I'm a Belgian lawyer, planning my summer US trip. I stumbled upon this thread while searching for US traffic rules and information about speeding fines.
Mid July, I'm taking my car (BMW M5) to the States (by boat). I arrive at NY City, and plan to drive East to West in approx. 1 week, then present my car to Dinan in CA, and drive back to NY City in 2 weeks (passing through Las Vegas).

I'm fully aware of the strict US speeding policy, but "you never know". I'd like to be prepared what knowledge of the law is concerned. Since I read some serious and interesting answers here in this thread, I'd like to ask some questions.
  1. I now know that a "speeding ticket" is officially a notice to appear in court. Does that mean that a police officer does not have the right to issue and collect an "immediate fine" ? This isn't even possible for foreigners with foreign cars ?
  2. What are the standard intervals between the date on which the speeding ticket is issued, and the date on which one should appear in court ? Some days, some weeks, more than a month ?
  3. What is the result of not appearing in court (e.g. when i'm already back in Europe) ? Will this raise the amount of the fine ? Are more severe results possible (other than a fine) ?
  4. What are the "common" fines for speeding on highways ? E.g. 10 mph too fast, 20 mph too fast, 30 mph, 40 mph, ... ?
  5. Is there any possibility that a "serious" speeding ticket (e.g. 120 mph where 65 is allowed) will result in an immediate arrest ? Is it possible my car will be seized ?
Thanks for answering.

G.