PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 15:19
Minimums!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about eye muscular imbalance

Hi guys
I had my cathay cadet pilot 3rd stage interview and the medical, but in the medical i had 20/20 or 6/6 vision (better than 20/20 actually) with my contacts. My diopters are -4.75 on both eyes with a VERY slight astigmatism in the right eye. However this does not cause my right eyes vision to drop below 20/20. Because my unaided vision was so terrible (as i recall it was around 4/66 or 6/66 (i might be getting the 60's mixed up), the medical officer told me that I had to go and have my eyes checked by an outside eye-doctor who was airline approved, which i went and did.

Nothing was wrong with my eyes except for one thing. I did a test where the doc used this thing with a faceplate (with two holes for the eyes) connected to another marked plate, about a foot away from my face, with a small bar. On the plate that I was supposed to stare at (the marked plate) there was a horizontal scale with numbers running below its entire length (it looked like a ruler) and a vertical line also running from the center of the top of the plate, to the center of the bottom. Both the horizontal and vertical line had an arrow which pointed to a certain number on that scale, however, my right eye was blocked off by a small screen on this device and a I could only see the horizontal scale from my left eye.

The doc asked me what number the arrow was pointing to on the horizontal scale, but to me the harder i tried to look at the arrow the more it seemed to move. It started out at the "4" mark (to the right side of the plate) and moved slowly until it hit "8" which was just reaching the center of the plate from the right. The arrow on the vertical scale remained at "0" and did not move even when i looked at it.

At the end of the examination, the doc said everything was fine except that i have a slight muscle imbalance (this is what i remember him saying) or he might have said slight misalignment. He also mentioned something about a squint. He said that this was not too large at all, and that everyone has it, however he was unable to tell me if it was a factor in me getting a Hong kong Civil aviation dept. class 1 medical (similar to the UK CAA standards). If anyone could shed some light on this for me i would be very grateful, as i am sick with worry on whether i will fail the interviews because of this.

Also as a note, i couldnt read anything on the eye chart without correction, so the doc made me get up and walk up to the chart until i could read it. Is this bad although i am short sighted?

I have a FAA class 1 and they never did this test there, also when i did my medical with cathay they didnt test for this either. Any info would be helpful.

Minimums!