PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Ryanair scam
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 13:41
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how my employer operates:

On promotion, senior crew are given a £20 payment (via pay packet) for a float. Previously, there were change machines in the crew room where notes could be converted into coin. This meant that on most flights, £60 of coin was available. Then, things changed...
  • There was a service charge made for maintaining the change machines. The airline cut costs and removed the change machines, instructing the crew to obtain change from the monies taken on each flight. Since there is never as much change at the end of the flight as at the start, this policy ensures a constant shortage of coins at the start of each flight. Cabin Crew who complained were instructed to top up their float when visiting a bank. Since minimum rest between duties is only 11 hours, and sleep is viewed (by crew at least) as being important, bank visit opportunities are limited. The executive who took the decision to remove the change machines was subsequently promoted.
  • The airline then reduced the number of senior crew on each aircraft type to 2, and then 1, thus reducing the total (theoretically) possible amount of float available at the start of the day to £40 or £20. The executive who took the decision to reduce the number of senior crew was subsequently promoted
  • The airline Marketing department then adjusted the prices of the onboard products to levels (£0.99, 0.68, £1.95 etc.) that require the maximum possible diversity of change types. The executive who took the decision to remove... etc. etc.

All of these decisions were taken by people who from one month to the next don't set foot on board an aircraft, as is traditional in most airlines. The people who have to resolve the issues arising are of course the Cabin Crew, who find themselves in a position from where they cannot win whichever way they turn.

Recently, on those flights where the lack of change has become critical, I have taken to making a PA asking if those customers that have large amounts of change would like to exchange them for notes: I see this as a win for all involved, as many people don't wish to carry large amounts of change abroad. If done properly, the PA solves our problem, and theirs, and doesn't inconvenience others unduly (IMHO). The only regrettable aspect is that it makes us look disorganised and cheap - but needs must!

This situation strikes me as another example of how the impact of the LCC's salami slices quality for everybody. Gradually life gets a tiny bit more naff, day by day, or else you go to the wall.

Sigh... I was born too late- I should have been a steward on the Empire Flying Boats, back when they cared about service...