PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are single-engines safe over cities?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 12:37
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. My last response I promise.

I am suggesting that in challenging weather conditions the handling characteristics of the AS355F1 over an R44 are preferable. Sometimes the pilot has to work very hard to complement the cameraman.
Huskie:
in challenging weather conditions
. Hell - what a generalisation. As I've previously stated, the nose-mount on the R44 ENG allows us to keep the nose into wind whilst still getting the shot. What could be safer than that ? Sitting over Scotland in a 50mph wind is one of my favourite places to be - that's 50mph of airspeed if we need it.
What machine would I rather be in crosswind ? Not the AS355 for sure. And definitely not a 206, while we're at it.

I agree 1500’ to 2000’ offer good pictures but the weather doesn’t always allow this.
If the cloudbase over a congested area doesn't allow 1000ft above the nearest highest object within 600m, then you can't go in any heli without an Exemption (unless flying under Special VFR and then you can use the 500ft rule - but why would you need to go that low if you've got a great camera with a professional operator?).
Rule 5 does not discriminate between numbers of power units.
And if the "weather" is pants, what pictures will you get in any case ?
And another aspect - the live link. We have the ability to get our pictures and sound over 100km. But to achieve this distance we need to watch our height - good as the new digital links are, even they can't defeat curvature of the earth to any great extent. In reality, getting our output live to W12 from, say, Milton Keynes needs 2000ft altitude.
That's it from me. This started as a simple response to MBJ and ended-up in the Cabinet Office. I love this place (pprune) - but I am not getting my work done.

John Eacott: we've never met, but thanks for your experienced support. It sometimes feels a bit cold in these parts, if you get my drift.