PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are single-engines safe over cities?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 10:26
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rushes, you're losing me here. These Forum posts aren't much good at conveying irony. So - I'll have to use plain language and I hope you don't consider this to be patronising.

You earlier suggested that whilst a twin can hover, a single can't. That is not the truth. The hover performance (or any aspect of performance) has nothing to do with how many engines you carry.

You can ask many "scenario" questions that are more relevant than engine failure - and these come higher up the stats list.

Try "What happens when the tail rotor drive fails on a twin engine helicopter whilst operating low level over a congested area?" Then call the South Wales ASU for the answer. Or Mrs Jones who had an AS355 parked in her loft for a few days.

Try "What happened to the door handle of an AS355 when it fell off during a filming flight over south London ?" Answer - it's down there somewhere and hopefully it didn't injure anyone.

Getting preoccupied with engine failures doesn't reflect the real issues of flight safety. You only have to read the CAA quarterly Occurrence reports and you'll see what I mean.