PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK trial GPS approaches, non-G-reg
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 08:08
rustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
The fact of the matter is that most "serious" IFR aircraft and users that would comply with the operational requirements of the trail are on the N reg.
Is that an actual fact, a Fuji Abound fact, or an IO540 fact?

We have had these "facts" previously. For example, the "fact" that the CAA and/or Jepp had messed up the database and it could never work.

Oh. They didn't and it does... (See previous GPS approach thread for that one)

What you may have failed to do is count all of the IMC rated pilots or IMC student who are entitled to trial these approaches for the CAA.

I haven't checked, but I'll bet there's more IMC holders in the UK than FAA/IR holders...

I'll also bet there's more G reg'd aircraft suitably equipped for the trial (NB if you read the trial documentation you will see the relaxation of the TSO requirements) than there are N reg'd in the UK.

All that aside strangely you dont find too many G reg aircraft in the US or Australia or any where else for that matter, so I guess the FAA didnt think engaging the G reg would have made their trails any more effective.
That doesn't even begin to address the point I was making, but never mind.

PS - already done the playing, so it doesnt really matter to me any way, but I would have liked IO540to have played as well.
IO540 or any other competent observer is more than capable of assisting in this trial and seeing how it works. All he (or anyone else) requires is to sit alongside someone with suitable qualifications in a suitably equipped G reg'd aircraft!

If someone on the N register wants to test their own equipment WTF has that to do with the CAA? That's like me renouncing my UK Citizenship then demanding assistance from the UK embassy when overseas

Originally Posted by IO540
To top it, CAA inspectors placing a plane onto G-reg for the first time have generally insisted that an IFR GPS has approaches disabled (in the maintenance config pages, not officially accessible to the pilot), which will prevent most new G-reg planes from participating in the trial at all. I don't think the CAA thought about that too; that their own CofA inspectors have unknowingly sabotaged the trial.
That fact has been comprehensively answered elsewhere -- I read it myself just moments ago