PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hidden PPL Charges?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2006, 21:07
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK GA industry spleen

Everybody,

Be aware that if you either train in the USA or buy into an 'N' Reg aeroplane you will be attracting the spleen of many in the UK GA industry. They are invariably professionals who know all the ropes and also know that you do not.

Some years ago, I chanced to remark to someone that I intended buying into an 'N' Reg aeroplane and was told that you are only allowed to use an 'N' Reg aeroplane for six months of every year. This was clearly a lie designed to disuade me from going 'N' reg.

If you have an FAA PPL, you do not need to swap it for a JAA PPL on your return home. Both Britain and the USA are ICAO countries and all ICAO countries recognise one another's PPLs. The only time you need to hold the licence of the country in which your aeroplane is registered is if you hold a commercial licence.

In short, there is no reason why you should not fly for the rest of your life in Britain in 'G' Reg aeroplanes on an FAA licence. You do not have to undergo written exams or a skill test. Any club that tells you this is committing a fraud on you. Believe me it goes on. Don't be fooled.

Broomstick.