PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK trial GPS approaches, non-G-reg
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2006, 19:47
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bookworm
Practice instrument approaches
7 (1) Within the United Kingdom an aircraft shall not carry out instrument approach practice when flying in Visual Meteorological Conditions unless:
(a) the appropriate air traffic control unit has previously been informed that the flight is to be made for the purpose of instrument approach practice; and
True, but if IO540 is not planning on landing off of the "approach", maybe it's not actually an approach? Maybe it's just manoevering visually in the general area of the final approach track?

I've done this a few times - generally when there hasn't been a suitably qualified controller around to "clear" me for an approach, but I've been doing instrument training in good VMC. The controller has asked me to report at various different points (turning back towards the airfield, for example), being careful to avoid using any phraseology which relates to an instrument approach. Once I'm established on final, he can clear me to land, or go around, just as if I had established visually onto a long final.

I'm not quite sure how IO540 would communicate his requirements to ATC, though. Whenever I've done this in the past, it's been initiated by ATC due to their staffing situation, and it's often agreed on the phone when I've booked out rather than on the r/t.

FFF
-------------