PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hidden PPL Charges?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2006, 15:33
edwardholgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US TO UK

Hi Plane Crazy..

I did my PPL in the USA and thought it was very good training, however, if your intending to fly when you return back to the UK, BE AWARE. Very few UK clubs will actually let you fly their a/c since they feel that they have lost money that you gave to the US and you have skipped the 'Weather Drag Curve' e.t.c. of the UK. They also will make you go through practically everything with 1 of their instructors before they put you in for a skills test with an examiner (For the UK JAR-FCL licence). They will make you sit all the written exams and RT practical but it is worth it. The UK is very different in terms of airspace and RT workload than the US and the phrase's and general terminology is very different also.

I am converting my FAA licence to the JAR equivalent and I have done at least 10 hours flying in the Warrior (I trained on the cherokee in the US) from Blackpool airport. The CFI actually says that my flying is actually very good and was just commenting on minor issues.

The 2 biggest things to get your head around are 1. Air Traffic and 2. Airspace then your away

Good Luck ED