PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 13th Jun 2006, 14:40
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Chappie

Sorry it didn’t work this time. But the thing you have to remember about progs like Today is that getting something on is a matter of huge chance. The fact that we got you and Nige on first of all was perhaps not unexpected, because it is clearly ‘a good story’ in Today terms. But getting Jim Naughtie to ask Reid the question on 3 May was really a matter of luck - it is, after all, a live show - so it’s not all that surprising that we didn’t succeed this morning.

In fact, I think they’d backed themselves into a corner. The problem was that they had already had the Culture Minister on at 0740, and then they had a pre-prepared package from Afghan to run before they got to Browne, so they ended up with very little time before the weather forecast. A shame, but the point is we have to keep on at them, and be prepared for it not to work sometimes.

I did have a nice email from the Today Editor Ceri Thomas on 8 May saying they wanted to keep the pressure up on this - so maybe I’ll remind him subtly again!

I do agree all of the comments about Browne’s total lack of charisma....
Incidentally, Nige will know that I had planned to mention The Petition at the Cosford Air Show when the J had finished its display (as I did at Southend), but I’m afraid the RAF specifically asked me not to - and it is an RAF show on an RAF station. Never mind, there will be other shows.

Btw, Nige - thanks for kind words on Cosford Air Show thread. Glad you enjoyed it!

nihil carborundum

airsound