PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are single-engines safe over cities?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2006, 14:22
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Like "Whoa!" Heliport!

Is there a fair balance between CAA people and commercial operators?
ie Between Regulators and operators?
I think I know what you mean....but considering recorded history I suggest there is a small flaw in your logic on this issue.

The helicopter industry has always been very competitive...both in the UK and the USA. Some very valid issues have been raised in the discussion so far. The "sniping" detracts from the debate. The debate should be over what is the best for "all" of the private operators and owners.

Currently, it would appear, ATC is using the ANT rule to bar access to the airspace without basis of law. That should be addressed by all parties.

The basis used to restrict air traffic should be reviewed and sorted for "reality" vice purely subjective reasons. The Helicopter Industry as a whole should stand together on common issues which affect the industry and set aside competition concerns.

Why should the CAA not take a position on this....after all they hold themselves up as being the Rock of Aviation Safety throughout the world do they not? Surely they have reams of data to support their position re: engine failure rates and such. They monitor all aviation in the UK thus they know the flight hours performed and such. Surely they could come up with some exposure statistics to show the risks involved in helicopters flying over London. A bit of reseach using GIS techiques could determine the number of possible forced landing sites contained within the urban area surrounding London and thus calculate the availibility of landing areas as a percentage of the surface.

No reason peering into a tea cup has to be the research method that these rules are determined by.