PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Aileron Setting Gives Spoiler Lift B737
Old 13th Jun 2006, 10:13
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't work so well on other aeroplanes. The highly swept 747-400 wing does lift easily, and needs positive control to hold it down. I take your point that maybe the 737 doesn't need so much aileron application in a crosswind- the earlier model 737 wing is quite small whereas the 757/767/747 wings have a larger relative area and more sweep and are perhaps more affected by crosswind.

Any spoiler upfloat is not that large, limited to 2 panels, and as so much of the takeoff is below 120kts, the drag effects are IMO minimal. There is no drag penalty starting off with large aileron application and backing it off as you accelerate, which is the technique i have always used. When you feel a wing lift as I have, and it happens on certain types, you have a respect for it. It would not be sensible to have 45 degrees on at V1- I referred to that as a maximum at the start of the take-off roll.

More recently I saw a report by a crew member of a B737 NG where the aircraft took off on a 7500 ft length sea level runway with a 20 knot steady crosswind. The captain used two thirds full control wheel from the start of the take off run (the captain later explained he always did this from his flying school days). Around 110 knots, if I recall correctly, the first officer noticed a marked drop in acceleration and he was immediately concerned that V1 was now meaningless......
Such 'impressions' are not awfully reliable. On a Classic 747 take-off BOM RW27, max wt. in the heat of the summer, I was shocked at the proximity of the end of the runway at the V1 call. I reported the performance as incorrect as I felt we could not have stopped. Our performance team did an analysis and wrote to me that we could have stopped with hundreds of feet to spare, and I didn't believe it. Shortly after, another of our Classics abandoned take-off in the same place, max weight, high temperature, one brake unit locked out, one reverser locked out (so corresponding one on other side unusable). They stopped, with hundreds of feet to spare, bang on calculation. So personal opinions in relation to performance are not very reliable- all that counts is those graphs!

Last edited by Rainboe; 13th Jun 2006 at 11:09.