PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are single-engines safe over cities?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2006, 04:46
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad that MBJ has acknowledged the fruits of our labours.
It is my organisation which did all the research on this matter and has seen it through to an excellent end result. He states that there is "controversy" - well if there is, it hasn't been brought to our attention. There is nothing controversial in merely reading and understanding the law.
I am surprised that MBJ is aware of what we have achieved - we haven't advertised the facts and have told very few people.
Why? Well because we haven't actually changed any regulations. We have simply proved that myths are greater than words. For some 40 years the UK aviation industry appears to have its head so far up its own body parts that it hasn't read the rules as they are written. MBJ - it's not down to "interpretation" it's down to good old black & white. I know - I did all the research from Cabinet Office down.
This obsession with single engine failures is so far out of proportion with the truth. There are many more reasons why a helicopter could hit your head, but none of them is surrounded by draconian, outdated legislation.
The last time a helicopter embedded itself in the roof of a house was about 6 years ago - the S Wales ASU AS355. (Two engines, one gearbox, one TR.......what's the bloody point ?) This inicident was put down to tail rotor failure. By now, I would have expected a load of new rules about having 2 tail rotor systems..........
MBJ - when I started my business nearly 3 years ago, you wrote a "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" letter to a widely-read broadcasting trade magazine. Fortunately, they didn't print it because I was able to point out what a pile of cobblers it was. And you agreed. I've kept that letter and the emails we exchanged because, for me, they underline all that's wrong with the helicopter industry in the UK.
A lot less sniping at each other and a load more effort working as an industry together and we can move forward in large steps. Let's direct our energies into creating the industry we want.
To your comments on EGR160 single-engine operations : "It is certainly not in keeping with the original intention of the establishing the restricted zone." You must have a piece of paper that none of us has seen. In all my research talking to the various bodies involved, no one could come up with the original reason why "The Specified" was created. No one can find any official document with the history of why it was thought necessary. It is an anomoly in global airspace and it shouldn't be there. Hopefully the current London CTR Review will correct this and many other strange aspects of life in the London skies. The only reasons why the skies above London might be more dangerous than any other is because of the wierd web of myths and one-off "regulations" that have appeared over the years. It's an ATCO's nightmare and distracts them from their job.
One example: A N T. This is a chart that you will struggle to find published, yet it's a chart used by NATS to control your passage through London. It stands for All, Nothing, Twin. Even our most powerful regulatory body did not know of its existence. Why? Because in law it doesn't exist - it was just something that ATCOs were told to use. And it is about to be declared officially dead.
About the only credible argument I can see in your post is where you refer to commercial pressures on the pilot - you infer that he/she may overstretch the rules in order to make a successful flight. Not exactly a unique perspective is it ?
If we only employ pilots who really know and understand the rules, then that's the best we can do. We're not with them and we don't pay them any more or less for flying in accordance with the rules.
What are you suggesting - that some pilots get paid a bonus to break rules ? I don't know about yours, but mine are all CAA instructors and examiners as well as being self-funded CPL/ATPLs. Why would anyone in their right mind want to spend £50,000 getting trained, many more £000s hour-building - and then go and throw it all away by flying in the wrong place ?

Last edited by headsethair; 13th Jun 2006 at 05:37.