PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Aileron Setting Gives Spoiler Lift B737
Old 13th Jun 2006, 03:06
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Rainboe. You make some interesting points about the absence of discernable drag caused by spoilers on the take off run. If you are sure of your facts why not write to Boeing and advise them of your research results on the matter. I am sure Boeing would be most interested.

More recently I saw a report by a crew member of a B737 NG where the aircraft took off on a 7500 ft length sea level runway with a 20 knot steady crosswind. The captain used two thirds full control wheel from the start of the take off run (the captain later explained he always did this from his flying school days). Around 110 knots, if I recall correctly, the first officer noticed a marked drop in acceleration and he was immediately concerned that V1 was now meaningless. The hesitation or drag at that speed was definately noticeable according to the F/O and much more runway was used than estimated. He was convinced spoiler drag building up at the higher speed range was the culprit. All this is no problem unless Murphy's Law dictated an engine failure near V1 on the wet runway and an abort was necessary where V1 was now invalid due perceived spoiler drag. Certainly the FCTM cautionary note on extended take off distance with incorrect cross wind control wheel application rang true in this particular case.